Today was Noelle's first official day of homeschooling. I subscribe to the Charlotte Mason method. One of the components of her method is called copywork. Copywork provides handwriting practice and instruction in punctuation, spelling and grammar. When you are just starting, it may just be a sentence, but absolute perfection is expected. As the child gets older, the length of the passages will increase. Today I provided the following sentence for copywork:
Today I begin my homeschooling adventure.
Noelle: Why is it an adventure?
Me: What is the meaning of the word adventure?
Noelle: Disneyland is an adventure.
Me: What about Disneyland makes it an adventure?
Noelle: It's fun. It's awesome. And you could get lost.
Me: So it's a little bit dangerous. What else?
Noelle: You look around and say "Wow! I want to do that!"
Me: That sounds like homeschooling. What is awesome about homeschooling?
Noelle: We're Mormon, so we can read the scriptures and stuff.
Me: What is fun about homeschooling?
Noelle: We can go on field trips.
Me: How could we get lost homeschooling?
Noelle: You could lose your stuff.
Me: Yes, and we could lose our focus, our attention, and our purpose. But we won't let that happen. And we get to look around at all the cool stuff to do and learn and say "Wow! I want to do that!" as much as we want.
Noelle: That's cool.
Me: Yes it is.
Welcome to the awesome adventure of homeschooling.
No comments:
Post a Comment