Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer, and what I've learned so far

We were going to do math, literature, piano and nature study over the summer.
We did it for a couple of weeks, and then I let life take over.
I've signed us up for a co-op which begins in September, and I spent a lot of time preparing for that. My brother's family moved to Virginia and that took a lot out of us, both in terms of time and emotional energy. We've done swimming lessons, sent kids to camp and tried to keep up with baby needs, many a project and messy house.
Because I'm busy, Noelle's watched a bit too much TV. I decided that for the school year she'll have to earn her screen time. Maybe for every hour of good work on lessons she can earn an episode of her favorite show. I'm sure that's way more than what most people would allow, but it's improvement around here.
I learned that in order to be successful at homeschooling I'm going to have to not care that the house is messy. Because it will NEVER be clean enough to suit me. So I'll have to commit to the mornings being lessons only and not allow myself to be distracted. I need some goals, a plan, and an organized place to keep our things.
I also realized that there will always be a project and reasons to put off lessons. I'm going to have to put homeschooling at the top of the priority list, and realize that just like the house will never be clean, those special projects will also never be done. I've kind of had in the back of my mind that since it was summer it didn't really matter if we took a few weeks off. I don't think I'll feel that way during the school year.
Co-op back to school night is August 29, the same day my high schoolers start school. Then we'll take that week to get organized and make our plans, and maybe even decorate a bulletin board. Then we'll start the day after Labor Day. And just keep trying!
p.s. Noelle wants to learn Greek. I don't even know how we got on that topic, but I told her we could learn some vocabulary. Not sure how far I can take that on my own, but hey...we can try anything, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment